View Single Post
Old
03-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
If you want to live in a cheap, safe and clean apartment with the train nearby (about 30 mins into lower manhattan), then Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights is the place to go. Not a ton of "nightlife" but awesome restaurants, great shopping and most landlords are very reliable, friendly and a lot of the apartments have been redone with new kitchens, bathrooms etc.

1-bedrooms go between 900 and 1200.

Williamsburg is overpriced and dirty. My wife lived there for two years. Very close to Manhattan but the dirty unemployed hipsters will drive you off a cliff.

Forget Crown heights/Buskwick/Bed stuy/east New york. They are slowly (very slowly) coming around but they are still too dangerous for a newcomer or out-of-towner.

Bay Ridge is nicknamed "Beirut" for obvious reasons. But lots of great restaurants and bars. Similar to Dyker Heights and bensonhurst but better options and more expensive

Coney Island/Brighton beach/ manhattan beach/sheephead bay is nice, a much longer commute and a Russian-dominated population (FWIW)

Park Slope/Cobble Hill/Bklyn Heights is very very nice but very very expensive. I'm talking Manhattan prices.

Send me a PM if you have any questions

I live here (Bay ridge) Its a nice area, not much crime, some street races/local idiots, but nothing special, ask Levski,NYRANGERSfan0922, and Bluenote. The bars around here are great, foods reasonably cheap and good options, not alot of clubs (whooo!- dont like them) and parkings not too bad. Trains are pretty much all very close, N/R/D (despite what people say, they're not THAT bad), Busses are pretty good, and will most anywhere the train don't, and the timetables are pretty accurate.
If you play Roller Hockey however, be prepared to not find an assessable rink. Also be prepared to get kicked out of most tennis courts and schoolyards.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote