Thread: goalie advice..
View Single Post
Old
03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettholmesx View Post
im a goalie and have been for about 12 years now. i did quit playing hockey for about 4 years and got back into it about 2 years ago.

since coming back ive improved my game quite a bit. quicker pads, better positioning, better blocker, glove, etc..

my two biggest weaknesses though are still my glove and blocker.
i try my hardest to position them correctly, but i still seem to be slow with both.

any experienced goalies out there that give me any tips how to make them quicker? anything at all?

sounds foolish i know, but i could use the help.

thanks
Well it sound to me that you are about 24 to 27 years old. I have been coaching hockey now for 40 years and I was a goalie coach for my first 15 years and I have a couple of things that might help your game if you put them into use.

First and foremost is your mental game. Let talk about this first.

Back in 1973, way before your were born, the Russian were working on ways to self improve the human body. One of the things they came up with was a lot of work on the human mind.

They found that the mind don't know the difference between the conscious and the subconscious mind. As far as it's concern it's the same. So what's the difference between the two?

The conscious mind, is working while you are awake, which allows all of the senses to bring in information for the mind to process.

The subconscious mind, works while you are a sleep or close to ream sleep. The senses still work during this time and do not shut off.

Well they found out that the mind is one of the best and fastest computers ever built, with the ability to process multiple function at the same time. In fact, they were the ones that found out that we only use 1/3 of our brain capacity to process information. The rest of the space kind of sits there...mind you, this research was done back in the 70's

One of the things they found out was that all of the senses help program the mind. Kind of makes sense doesn't it. So when you are trying to catch that ball, you are actually programming the mind to coordinate all of the muscle within the body to complete that desired function or task. You with me so far?

Well, one of the things they found out was that you could preprogram the subconscious mind as well. Beacause the mind doesn't know the difference between the two.

So, what they did was take two basketball teams. One team they had doing the actual practice on the ball court and they had the other team placed in a dark room on recliner chairs with headphone on, listen to music.

The assignment of this team was to picture in their minds the perfect pass, the perfect shot, the perfect play. They were to see the ball go throw the hoop without hitting the rim.

Now after 6 weeks of this, they took both team and had them play a game against each other, on the actual ball court. The team that was doing the meditation actually won the game by a large margin.

You see, they found out that you can preprogram the mind to do the actual task, so that when the time comes for you to do the actual task, the mind has completed this task in the past, so it know what to do. There's no second guessing...get it?

Well, after reading this in the New England Journal of Medicine, I decided to give it a try back in the 70's

So here's what I did....

I layed on my bed with a pillow under my head and I plugged in my 8 track. Yes, I said 8 track. Could have been cassette, but I think that was a couple of years later. Anyways...

With every beat of the base, I imagined making the perfect skate save, the perfect glove save, the perfect blocker save, the perfect butterfly save. The puck did not go in...I was a brick wall. You with me so far?

After 6 weeks of doing this, people started coming up to me and asking how I was making those great saves. They asked, how was I able to react that quick and react to make those kind of saves. I told them hard work. The last thing I wanted to tell them was I was getting brain washed.

You see, the Russians found out that the subconscious mind will work on what ever the conscious mind did the last 5 minutes before you get to ream sleep. So this means that if I pictured in my mind making the great saves 5 minutes before I went to bed and fell a sleep, I would work on this for the next 8 hours while I sleep. Did it work? You bet your a** it did.

Now, be careful! Don't do this with the radio on, use an Ipod. Why? Every hour and on the half hour, radios play the news and it's all negative. The last thing you need to work on for 8 hours is the killing down the street or the **** in down town.

All I want you to do is try it for 6 weeks and see if your game improves. You don't have anything to loose and it's not going to take up any of your time.

Then PM be and let see how you did.
Head coach