View Single Post
Old
03-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Agent007

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I think the Panthers could get more than that for Bouwmeester. If Timmonen and Hartnell got a first, I think JBO could get the same. If the Panthers aren't able to sign Ohlund, then they traded Bouwmeester for nothing.
No team will give up a 1st round draft pick for an unsigned J-Bo.

You have to also remember that the Flyers traded the 25th overall pick in a weaker 2007 draft at a time when 1st round draft picks weren't as highly valued as they are right now. The cap was moving up and there were no signs that it would drop anytime soon.

A 1st round draft pick has never had more value then it does right now. The only 1st round draft picks that were traded were the SJ pick (which was traded in July 2008) and the Flames 1st round pick (which was traded for Jokinen and a 3rd round pick is coming back to the Flames as well).

If a team is certain that they can sign J-Bo then I can see them willing to give up a late 1st round draft pick but even then it might just make more sense to wait another week and pick him up when free agency starts.

It's going to be real interesting to see what Florida does with J-Bo. It's pretty obvious that unless a miracle happens J-Bo isn't going to sign there and there's no doubt in my mind that Florida WILL trade his rights at or before the draft.

The only question is what can Florida get for his rights.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote