Thread: Proposal: Anaheim-Ottawa
View Single Post
Old
03-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Pyke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agi View Post
Love how you just compared Heatley to Ovechkin as he is the only player making $9.5 Million.

I guess that is why the Capitals and Senators are neck and neck in the playoff picture...oh wait.
Yeah because, you know, Ovechkin is the only player of note on the capitals at the moment.

LoL.

And, Crosby makes pretty close to $9m. Plenty of players are in that 7-9M range. Hell, Thomas Vanek makes $7M a season.

Further, I actually credited Ovechkin as being the best winger in the game in my initial post; in the implied statement.

That said, if I had to choose between Ovechkin at $9.5M and Heatley at $7M, I'd choose Heatley.

Ovechkin has the capability to average 60ish goals and 110ish points. At $9,500,000 that translates to $158,000 a goal and $86,300 a point. The points number is a little high, but I don't think anyone would complain about having Ovechkin. (I think this season he's on pace for 57/100ish? Too lazy to check.)

That said, as a comparison, let's look at Dany Heatley.
Over the three years going into this year, he averaged 47 goals (two 50 goal seasons, and a 40 goal season). This has not been a banner year for him, admittedly. He's also been in the 95-100 point range every season. Conservatively let's estimate 45g/90pts.

$7,000,000 a season translates into $155,555 a goal and $77,777 a point.

So yes, I think it's fair to compare Ovechkin and Heatley, when the salaries are what they are, and there's a salary cap.

Not that I initially did so; but my point was only the people suggesting Ottawa makes this trade are foolish.

Last edited by Pyke*: 03-19-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Fixed a grammar error.
Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote