03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

vCash: 500
Directly from Hockey Futures: After he was drafted

3rd round (65th overall)
Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL
5’11, 168 pounds, DOB: May 2, 1989

The first of Montreal’s two third-round selections, obtained in the Richard Zednik trade with Washington, was used on a player who is the polar opposite of the mercurial, streaky player for whom the pick was traded

Olivier Fortier enjoyed a breakthrough season with the Oceanic this year (2006-07), accounting for 28 goals and 36 assists in 69 games. And while the offense is nice, it’s the other parts of his game that really excite the Canadiens.

“At every level he plays, his coaches can’t say enough good things about him,” Timmins said. “They know each and every time he steps on the ice what they’re going to get. He’s a low-maintenance player. He’s a solid two-way player – I can’t say he has any real weaknesses.”

In fact, Timmins sees a lot of a current Hab in him.

“He’s got that twinkle in his eye – he’s going to be a player,” he said. “The last guy that I saw with that look was Maxime Lapierre.”

Fortier is in great shape – unfortunately it’s the wrong one. “His dad is a marathon runner, so he’s been training along the lines of cardio and fitness levels. That will be adjusted,” Timmins explained.

Like Lapierre, Fortier has a solid perspective on what his long-term role will be.

“I think in the NHL I’ll be on the fourth line or third line, because of my defensive game,” Fortier said. “But I also have some offensive skill so I can jump on the first two lines. I’m a two-way player. I’ll do what I have to do to play.”

The following 2007-08 season he was not as productive offensively as he scored 46 points (23 goals) in 67 games, but would go on to win the Guy Carboneau Trophy as the leagues top defensive forward.

Also, as team captain this season, he potted 35 pts (8 goals) in only 29 games, with an impressive 19 in Rimouski's final 11 games, Rimouski winning 10 of 11. Will captain the Oceanic into the Memorial Cup this season as the tournament host.

Last edited by shiftycanuck: 03-19-2009 at 03:54 PM.
shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote