View Single Post
Old
03-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I wanted to bump this thread -- noticed something interesting at last night's pickup game.

I'm a left handed shooter who's recently been moved to the LW (from defense). In a recent game I missed an empty net goal by shooting wide from just inside the blue line. Since that time I've noticed I have a big accuracy problem in shooting from the left wing and that I have no such problem shooting from the right side. I understand about puck sight, that I have a bigger target when shooting from the off-wing, but I wonder if there's more to it than that.

If I'm skating along the boards I need to shoot at a diagonal across my body. Seems more complicated than skating down the center and shooting straight ahead. Also, I need to adjust the angle according to where I release the puck -- the closer to the goal line, the more severe the angle. Meanwhile, even if I skate at an angle from the boards to the net I have skate toward the right post so my (straight) shot clears the left post.

Or am I completely overthinking this?
well, the advatages of playing the off wing, as a shooter, is yea, that you get a better angle to shoot because the puck is more in the center of the ice. the disadvantage is that the puck is more in the center of the ice. in other words, it is less protected and you cant use your body as much to protect it as much as if you play the on wing.

a bad angle shot is a bad angle shot no matter what side of the ice you are on. if you are playing the on wing or off you still want to get the puck to the middle of the ice if you are shooting to score to have the best chance to score. its just if you play the off wing, you will get better chances. alot of pure goal scorers play the off wing

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote