View Single Post
Old
09-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Leetchie

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
was not about an opinion, but rather about the obvious. If dmen who are 6'2" 200+ do not have size, then what does consitute size? Just as scouts and organizations can differ on their appraisals regarding players, so to can us fans. If you say that a guy is 6'5" but plays like Willie Huber I think everyone would get the point. The 5 or 6 young defensemen I picked out from our organization are a far cry from Willie Hubersque type players. I think the comment that the organization lacks size is inaccruate and does not present a true picture of what is in the organization.
The problem is that any organization can pick up a "big" defenseman. None of those you mentioned are sure-fire top-four, save Tjutin. Honestly, I doubt three of the ones you mentioned will make an impact at the NHL level. This isn't a knock on their skill level; just a numbers game, the percentages, if you will.

Tjutin will probably be a pretty good top pairing defenseman who can play 25 minutes a night and be a good all-around defenseman. After him, the rest of the group is full of question marks.

When writers say that the Rangers lack defensemen with size, I think they're referring to defensemen who will end up being top-four, impact players.

As far as Foster and his 7.5 rating... well, the HF ratings can be compared to +/- ratings. It's only worth something if you compare it with another player on the same team. The nature of a rating system is subjective -- our writers may be tougher on our prospects than another team's writer. Take it with a grain...