View Single Post
Old
03-23-2009, 12:19 AM
LTNINGFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
Scary evening for me

So today was the opening day of the spring roller hockey season and I was pretty excited. New team, new teamates, nice warm day. But with an outdoor rink, it was a a little too warm, but that was ok. Everyone else seemed pretty excited as well, as we had quite a few new players out which was enough for us to have one more team than we had in the winter session. In this area, one more team is a success.

Fast forward to 12 minutes into the first period. We only had 2 subs, and we were getting shelled already 4-0. We were running all over the place, out of position, bad turnovers, you name it. on my second shift of the game, the puck goes down into our end and one of our D-men tried to clear it with a half slapper in front of our own net. The other teams forward puts his stick out and when the puck came off the opposing players stick as he was poke checking, the deflection came up and got me in the left eye. I was only 10-15 feet away, so my reaction time was, well, none.

After a trip to the nearby ER, and 3 hours later, I am lucky to still have my vision. A nice black eye is on the way, and a couple of nice cuts above and below my eye. Lots of swelling, and pain right now, but i am managing to ignore it to a point. if i can keep my eyesight, that stuff is nothing.

I have a cage I bought over a year ago, and just didn't wear it because I couldn't get used to looking out of it trying to search for the puck. I am now going to get used to it as soon as possible.

While in the ER, my 8 year daughter comes in, and sees me and my face in a wreck. The look on her face told me she was just as scared as I was. I knew right then, that I want to make sure that I want to be able to look at both my daughters, without any issues.

I will miss the clear vision of a regular helmet, but I thank God that I was lucky this time. Lesson learned, as I consider that as my first, and final warning.

LTNINGFan is offline   Reply With Quote