View Single Post
Old
03-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Oblivion

vCash: 500
You do realize he likely doesn't want to concede anything on public television. His agent will need to bargain for that contract and he losses bargaining power if he basically says he wants to be a lifelong Canuck and wants to sign for a discount to keep the team competitive.

He wants to win a cup (as most NA players do) and he wants to make as much money as possible (as most rational people do). I wouldn't doubt he was speaking the truth but I don't think this necessarily means he wants 'out' of Vancouver.

Keep in mind, does Vancouver have a chance to win the Cup? I think an argument could be made that they have an outside chance (not currently at the same level as SJ, DET or BOS), but I wouldn't doubt it's possible.

Does Vancouver have the money to resign him? I think once again an argument can be made that Vancouver has one of the better positions regarding payroll in the league. Their competitive and they've got a responsible amount of money tied due to their players.

As a Flames fans it pains me to say that Vancouver is actually a solid fit for Luongo and I fully expect he'll be re-signed. I would put this as more of a bargaining ploy.

When a player says something about wanting to win a cup on a team that is technically contending, it shouldn't be as big a deal as many people are making it out to be. It's not like he's Ilya Kovalchuk coming out and saying he wants to win the cup.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote