Thread: New Goalie Tips
View Single Post
Old
03-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Hamilton35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pen_is_mightier View Post
I have to disagree with this. The leg that you recover with is based on which way the play is going. If the play moves to your left, pull your right leg under you, and push off it to your left. This would also allow you to butterfly slide, if need be (if you're on ice - not sure how this works in roller). By doing this, you are recovering and repositioning yourself in one fluid motion.

I agree that you do not drop or "fall" into the butterfly. Keep your head up and chest facing foward as you drive your knees to the ground/ice. Watch a good goalie making a butterfly - from the ready position to when they're actually in a butterfly, their torso and head barely move.

Also, try to keep your weight on your knees once the move is executed. I've seen many new goalies almost sit when in the butterfly, which leads to poor recovery and makes them smaller in net. It also creates holes along the ice.

Good luck!
For beginners, I find its much easier to worry about a proper recovery and then move, then get them to try to get up and position all at once. Too much too soon.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote