View Single Post
Old
03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I like Tanguay as a player but my impression, not backed by stats, is that he could really thrive even more on the PP because of his skills and vision and that he's a little soft for 5 on 5, especially on the forecheck.
Grit is nice, but personally, I value effectiveness. When Tanguay is on the ice, statistically he puts up more points than any other Hab and the opponent doesn't score -- the only regular forward that has similar lower scoring rates against is Max Lapierre. And historically he has been an extremely good 5-on-5 scorer -- one of the top LWs in the entire league, in fact.

He is a passer who picks his spots for shots, there's no denying that. He will be more effective with a shooter. But he is underrated as a two-way puck-possession player. There's a reason he was used in a checking role on the Flames when they were low on NHL-quality forwards.

And besides, picking his spots for shots does work for him: there's a reason Tanguay has the best shooting percentage of any active player by a mile. He is second on the team for ES goals/60 minutes, nestled between Andrei Kostitsyn and Latendresse for goal-scoring. Max Lapierre is actually fourth on the team.

(Grit does work and can be effective: Lappy and Latendresse are actually pretty good even-strength forwards statistically, so your impression of them is not unwarranted. Max is really good defensively to boot, and Lats is underrated offensively. Makes me think the gritty scorers we keep whining about might just already be on the roster, just a couple years away. It's a different kettle of fish on the power play, of course.)

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote