View Single Post
Old
09-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Russian Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
One problem is the misconceptions around hockey about the Rangers being a team that makes money and has revenue to share and sellout games, it's just not true.

It's already been reported they are losing money this week as are Detroit, Philadelphia. What they do is simply lose even more and spend more with no thought as to the league.

Problem is these owners want/need an advantage to make up for their weak management and cannot contain themselves. Which has driven up the market and put the game where it is today.

Meanwhile the Rangers play in obscurity in the New York sports market, their high priced team of name players are invisible in the media here because baseball drives the market and the other teams take the rest of the attention span.

I'm not in favor of any luxury tax unless it begins at 35 million with a dollar for dollar match and first round draft pick compensation for every five million over. In other words a system where if you spend you pay an absurd amount in prospects and revenue where teams have to comply.

But Bettman wants no hard cap at all. He knows some of these owners are all for themselves, not the business and cannot be trusted to act for the good of the league. He's right.
sorry for my skepticism but I sincerely doubt the Rangers are losing money ! If they Leafs are making a ton of money $$$$ & being in a Canadian Market paying mostly in USD$$$$, I would be very , very, surprise if they lose money.