View Single Post
Old
09-07-2004, 03:45 AM
BLACKBURN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
I think that's the point, I don't consider it a racial slur, it has nothing to do w/ race, so there's absolutely no basis on this being an about PC-ness. I'm annoyed not because it's an offense like a racial offense, but rather, I think it's like people bashing my team, and that always annoys me. Has nothing to do w/ political correctness.
I said "Pople are way too politically correct nowadays and take words or phrases out of context."

This is more of a general observation then a comment about the Rangers being called te Rags. You read way too much into that part of the sentence rather then the end -

"take words or phrases out of context"

My point was that people take thngs way too seriously nowadays wether it be a name given to a group of people, a disability, a nickname etc. I just think it's silly to get upset about a nickname that is'nt

* melicous
* Racist
* Linked to an individuals personal problem's

Personally I think using the word derogatory is over the top. That is a term used when people say things such as a woman's a **** or personal with a mental illness is a spastic.

I can see why people may find the name negative but I use it as as abbreviation almost that makes it faster to type, much like lol etc.

"I don't consider it a racial slur, it has nothing to do w/ race, so there's absolutely no basis on this being an about PC-ness."

"avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against"

It's not just about race, its about disability's, social status etc. Im not saying that using the word Rags is political incorrect, im just saying people are over-sensitive today with a lot of words and this was an example of in my opinion an over reaction.