Old
03-29-2009, 06:20 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
D Duke Dukowski

- 5'10", 185 lbs.
- Allan Cup Finalist (1918)
- Memorial Cup Finalist (1919)
- Top-10 in points by NHL defensemen twice (6th-1930, 9th-1933)
- Top-4 in points by WCHL/WHL defensemen four times (3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th)
- Chicago's captain in 1929-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Duke Dukowksi had a five-year NHL career in the late 1920s and early 1930s. He got his start in the NHL in the 1926-27 season, playing in 34 games with the Chicago Blackhawks, scoring three goals and two assists.

After spending two years in the AHA with Kansas City, Dukowksi returned to the Blackhawks for 44 games in 1929-30 where he had seven goals and ten assists and also served as the team's captain. He followed that up with a 25-game season the next year before being sent to the New York Americans late in the season.

In 1932-33, Dukowski played a full 48-game season with the Americans, scoring four goals and seven assists for eleven points. In his final season, 1933-34, Dukowski played for the Americans, the Chicago Blackhawks, and the New York Rangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losthockey.com
Oddly enough, I came upon an article later in my session about Dukowski winding up in New York. Dukowski had been placed on waivers by Chicago and Eddie Gerard was looking for a right-wing. Gerard asked Rabbit McVeigh, who had played with Duke, which way he shot. When asked if Duke shot right, the hard-of-hearing McVeigh replied, "Yes."

The Americans aquired Dukowski and quickly found he was a left-handed shot. Gerard immediately sought an explanation from McVeigh.

Rabbit responded, "Why, I thought you asked if he could play right defense.

Dukowski did prove useful for Vernon Ayres fractured his shoulder, opening a spot for Duke.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote