View Single Post
Old
03-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Playing with possible trade scenarios is a fun, fun thing to do as a hockey fan.

I can't imagine any team in its right mind picking 1 or 2 this summer would trade that pick UNLESS an offer of incredible, incredible overpayment were to come along. Just looking at other teams likely picking in the top 10-12, much less after that, I don't see too many teams are out there who'd be ready to make such an overpayment. If I had to take a jab at one team who has the picks and system prospect depth + the existential questions that'd make it willing to possibly make an offer of overpayment to grab that 1st or 2nd pick, it'd prolly be Phoenix.

The likelihood is still very low.

Now, after last summer, Islander fans and hockey fans alike are justified in contemplating a situation where the Islanders would indeed be willing to move down (in this case, from 2 to 3 or 4) if their scouts are absolutely convinced of a certain player ahead of Hedman/Tavares for the Islanders - Duchene comes to mind - which would of course put their staff in further conflict with the assessments of the scouting world on whole. It would of course depend on what else the other team(s) offer.

The chances are though, that the teams picking 1 and 2 are gonna get a lot of phone calls.

Should we see the following pick order
1) COL
2) NYI
3) TB
then I can certainly imagine that Lawton will have a nice, long conversation with Snow.

At the end of the day, I'm expecting that Tavares will probably go first, Hedman 2nd and Duchene 3rd - and that these picks will be made by the teams designated 1, 2, 3 by the Draft Lottery.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote