Thread: News Article: Mathias Brunet article on Timmins
View Single Post
Old
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
ok so I did a quick check for the first 2 rounds since 2004

whl has 10 forwards in the league have an average of 22 points per player, ohl 14 players with an average of 26, Q has 9 players with an average 57, HS have 8 players with an average of 23, NCAA has 6 players with an average of 64, Europe has 15 players 59

whl d-men have 3 d-men in the league for an average of 33 points per player, ohl has 5 d-men for 4 points per player, Q has 2 with an average of 21 per player, HS have 5 for 14 points per player, NCAA has none, europe has 3 with an average of 43

WHL has 6 forwards with more than 20 points, OHL has 5,the Q has 6 players above 20 points, HS have 3, NCAA has 5, europe has 7

WHL has 0 forward over 100 points, WHL has 1, Q has 1, HS none, NCAA has 1, europe has 3

so I computed a few stats so before saying that I'm all biased with my stats, at least I search for something and bring SOME stats, while all you bring is stereotypes and Me Thinks that's what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
And you are right. You might find two scientific articles from Lavoie
(ph.D. economics in Ottawa) in 1987 and in 199X. About the first one, here's a reply from another economist

Do Hockey Teams Discriminate Against French Canadians?: A Comment on 'Discrimination and Performance Differentials in the National Hockey League' MICHAEL KRASHINSKY* Department of Economics Scarborough Campus, University of Toronto Introduction In a recent paper in this journal, Lavoie, Grenier and Coulombe (1987) argue that French Canadian hockey defensemen and forwards perform better than their English Canadian and American counterparts, al- though the performance of English and French Canadian goalies cannot be distin- guished. The authors suggest that this can be explained by discrimination against Francophones which occurs at the point of entry into the league. The different treat- ment of positions reflects different levels of uncertainty about player quality. Despite some minor quibbles, I find the data persuasive. It does indeed appear that French Canadian players are better than their English teammates and that this is due to some preference towards hiring An- glophones.
Thank you, but I'm sure their stats are biased

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-31-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote