View Single Post
Old
04-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Rodney's gettin' the rock in the ninth...

Perry and Porcello Head North

Alright, the first is a bit misleading as it sounds like it'll be more of a "closer by committee until someone steps up and pitches worth a lick, but I'm not thrilled with either of these moves - more so the second one. We simply aren't going to contend for the central this year barring some freakish coincidences tilting our way. So why bring a couple of kids north who, the Tigers openly admit, could use more polish in the minors? This is a long term hazard for minimal short term gain. Bonderman still hasn't mastered that third pitch because he was brought up as a kid and not given time to properly mature. Player after player has been either set back or decimated by being force fed into a situation they weren't properly prepared for.

So why not just take their lumps and call the kids up in September to ready them for a real run next year? This bothers me more with Porcello than with Perry, unless they plan on sending Porcello down when Bondo joins the team.

The Rodney thing leaves me wondering why we signed Lyon but, given how he's pitched this spring, Lyon shouldn't complain about getting pushed out of the closer role. The closer by committee thing might actually work out best for this team as Leyland can just go with whoever has the hot hand and/or is ready to go.