View Single Post
Old
09-09-2004, 11:57 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead
The Canes are horrible and were horrible even when they were in Hartford, but for one season they put it together and got some luck, and made it to the finals. During that run, hockey actually made it to page 8 in the Carolina sports pages. Fans watched and the rink was full. The next year the team played down to where it should be, and guess what? That's right their fans were more interested in everything else. I don't want to stereotype all Americans with this, because obviously there are loads of passionate fans, but not nearly enough to make a difference. The simple fact is that if Bettman wasn't so infatuated with all that new franchise money which no doubt clouded his judgement, he would have realized then what has become painfully obvious now, that there are too many cities that should never have been given teams. While the owners cry poor, they continue to right off all of those losses against their corporations profits. Why else do you think that given the state of the game, where 2/3 of the league is in the red, would franchises be snapped up in a heartbeat if allowed? I do not want to offend any fans, so I won't state the teams I would get rid of but it would make the game better and the teams stronger. It would also solve much of what the owners and NHLPA are arguing about right now. That's my take on it!
When the Hurricanes made their playoff run, it was a big deal in Raleigh. Just like everywhere else playoff tickets were hard to get and the arena was packed. The Hurricanes made it a lot further than page 8 of the sports section. People like to see winners. I have been a season ticket holder since the team came to Raleigh. I will be the first to admit I didn’t go to a lot of games last year because the team was brutal to watch. It wasn’t fun. This is the same reason no one went to games in Pittsburgh, Chicago, and other cities with bottom feeder teams. It is the same reason no one goes to Duke football games, not because there isn’t a market for college football in this area, but because they are awful. This notion of a “hockey city” kind of lame. Raleigh is easily large enough to support big league sports and they will support a hockey team as long as they are competitive. They will not however support a losing team with escalating ticket and concession prices. Unfortunately the management of the Hurricanes doesn’t realize this.