Thread: News Article: - Primeau To Donate Brain To Science
View Single Post
Old
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
- Primeau To Donate Brain To Science

Just saw this, pretty wild. Interview will air on Friday (Sportsnet Ontario) at 6:30 on Hockeycentral Leafs Edition...

Quote:
A career cut short because of multiple concussions has led former Philadelphia Flyer Keith Primeau to make a big decision: he will donate his brain to science when he dies in the hope it helps others avoid the pain he suffered.

Primeau, 37, told Sportsnet's Arash Madani in an exclusive interview he has agreed to posthumously donate his brain to the Massachusetts-based Sports Legacy Institute (SLI), a renowned clinic that studies the effects of concussions and other sports-related brain injuries.

"It's the most important organ in our body, yet the most ignored," Primeau said in a lengthy interview at his home in Voorhees, N.J. "At the end of the day, it wasn't any different than donating my organs to those in need post-mortem. I'm just donating my brain to science."

While there are many who might be squeamish about such a decision, Primeau hopes any information learned from his experience will prevent another player from undergoing the same pain.

"If the knowledge is discovered, and scientific examination proves that post-concussion leads to serious deterioration of brain function, then medically someone needs to step in and tell a player they can no longer do what they love to do," Primeau said.

"If I can in any way be of any assistance or be a guinea pig, I'd be happy to do that."
Click link for full story

NHL players whose careers were cut short by concussion(s):
- Eric Lindros
- Brett Lindros
- Geoff Courtnall
- Pat LaFontaine
- Scott Stevens
- Adam Deadmarsh
- Mike Richter
- Michel Goulet
- Jeff Beukeboom

Last edited by Opus: 04-02-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote