View Single Post
Old
04-03-2009, 12:03 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I honestly think that Isles fans have endured such mediocre, boring hockey for so long that they've forgotten what it's like to have an explosive star forward. Tavares brings this dormant franchise back to life. He gives them some buzz. He will turn out fans. He will give the team an identity. He will add immediate punch to a team whose leading point scorer is a defensemen and whose leading goal scorer is almost being doubled up in goals by Mike Green.

Certainly, Hedman is the sort of player every club can use. But he isn't going to generate an instant groundswell. If the Isles have to part with one of their next two picks (either the SJS pick or the 31st overall) to convince Tampa to bump down, then so be it. You cannot be a penny pincher about a franchise-defining player. Especially when you have extra picks to play with.

I'm sure an Isles fan or two will take some sort of offense by what I'm saying, but as a fan of a team who looked a little like the Isles a few years ago until we were rescued by one of these franchise-defining players, I'm telling you, you can't put a price on it. I'm really rooting for this team to get the #1 pick and keep it simple. But if they don't get it, I hope they do what it takes to land Tavares anyway. It's a perfect fit.
Well said.

I doubt its an option but from what i've seen from Islander fans there seems to be a serious underestimation of what moving up that 1 spot would require.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote