09-10-2004, 09:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3000694

If that is accurate, those six teams should be shut down. Problem almost solved. I don't see why every team in the league should be guaranteed a profit, which is what the NHL seems to be going after. Where's the impetus to improve your team if you know you'll make money no matter what?

On the other hand, I don't think it's at all unreasonable for the league as a whole to expect to make a nice profit when attendance is good. The NHLPA doesn't appear to agree with that, though. In my opinion, their stance seems very short-sighted.

The problem with shutting those teams down is that it is lost jobs for the union. Some of those 6 probably aren't the 6 we think they are (I would think one of them is the Rangers, another is Washington)

I remember hearing during the Calgary/San Jose series in the playoffs that if the Sharks were to win the Cup (or make it just as far as they did, I forget) that they would have lost money on the year. With such a low payroll, I find that very hard to beleive since they had 9 extra home games.