View Single Post
Old
09-10-2004, 12:17 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Hm, I notice you finger Anaheim to be removed, but not LA. One team recently made it to the finals, the other can't even get into the playoffs. Interesting.

I'm seeing a pretty common mistake being made over and over in this thread: people equating attendance with financial stability. Just because a team has a loyal fanbase doesn't mean a damned thing, and if the current state of the NHL isn't fixed...sure, teams like Carolina and Florida will feel the pain..but you know who will feel it even worse? Edmonton. Calgary. Ottawa. Don't assume for one second that a lockout will cure the nasty expansion virus while allowing some sort of NHL-Darwinism to set in, making all the tried-and-trues happy. That's a nice dream, but a dream just the same. As a Nashville fan, I'm praying there's no lockout(for a variety of reasons,) but as small-market Canadian fans...I hope you're praying just as hard.
You just don't get it, do you? "The Canadian teams will be supported during a lockout."

I have no idea what that means, but that is what you see on this board constantly. Apparently fans in "hockey markets" will still go to the arenas and spend money even though there is just an empty sheet of ice.