View Single Post
Old
09-10-2004, 01:29 PM
hockeytown9321

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221
a world with no cap:
Niklas Lidstrom asks for 10 mil as he has been arguably the best dman in the last 5 - 10 years

only only a handful of teams could afford him right? does that make it unfair to the rest of the league?, i'd say so, wouldn't you?

a world with a cap:
Niklas Lidstrom asks for 10 mil, but has a counter offer of 6 - 7 mil as there's a whole team to be concerned about because cap space is limited

now, at least 15 teams could feasably afford that contract, the only things that could change would be bonuses and length of contract, either way that would keep 15 or more teams in the running for him. he still gets paid like a star, but salaries would be brought back to earth

another good dman who would ask for 7 mil would be told 'you're no lidstrom we'll give you x million, so on and so forth, a cap would still allow stars to be paid like stars, it would just stop some of the stupid offers made by GM's, while yes it does put a small limit to what each player can make, so what, if these players are playing for strictly monetary reasons then screw em, if more players would play for the love of the game then the fans would be treated to a better game night in and night out

if you read my posts, you'd know i never said they should keep the current system, or that it was 100% fair.

My point is that small payroll teams claim they can't keep thier players now, and a salary cap will not change that.

I'm sure there will be lots of players willing to take less to stay woth their team, but the question is how much? What if one team can offer $2-3 million more? If a player leaves, how could you blame them?