Thread: Proposal: Ott-tor
View Single Post
Old
04-05-2009, 12:09 PM
grabo84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
I think the problem with this deal is the cost and not the vision of the team. We're talking about a top 10 pick (most likely top 7 or 8) in an extremely deep draft that could very well yield a first line player and an excellent young dman who was a top dman at the showcase junior tournament and considered to be the missing link for this team and a player with a lot of potential.

Perhaps if the pick was more of a mid-range 15-20 pick and the prospect was something we had an excess of, this deal would make sense. But the ideal of potentially trading away 2 kaberles (Karlsson and OEL for example) for 2 years of a seemingly declining Kaberle just doesn't seem worth it in any scenario, especially when there are equal or better options out there that would cost less.
Well, Ottawa's problem is that they don't have a lot of prospect depth. That really makes a deal like this tough for them to pull off. A team like LA can pull off a deal like this without really feeling a hit on their pipeline. But like I said, that's more to do with team needs and situation than value.

So far as value goes, Toronto was still adding a second round pick, so I figured that evened out the value of the pick a bit.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote