View Single Post
Old
09-11-2004, 01:16 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyDugan
I'll admit these are some half-baked theories on my part, but I really don't think anybody is going to get their hands on an NHL team for $ 50 million - too many other NHL owners would have too much explaining to do to too many banks.
I think it is very clear thinking, nice post.

As you have alluded, the Ottawa Senators bankruptcy had nothing to do with player salaries, and everything to do with owner boardroom decisions.

If every team is bought by a billionaire for cash, and you try to buy one by borrowing $50mil from the bank to buy it, and then have to make the loan payments each month, the problem isnt player salaries, its owner financing.

Like it or not, ownership is a game reserved for billionaires, not millionaires.

Kansas sounds like the perfect market for the NHL. Like Colorado they tried once and failed. Maybe the pattern is they buy a team with money problems, but with young assets and take off like the Avalanche did.

Do it right, and you can make hundreds of millions of dollars. And the NHL is now even proposing it should be risk free.