View Single Post
Old
09-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Russian Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
Wow - so the players are using the internet now, even password protected pages..get out..

So this article is bascially saying that even though the league lost 220+ mil its okay b/c its just 6 franchises - rediculous argument. The NHL still lost 220 MILLION DOLLARS!!
No one question the FACT that NHL TEAMS lost money.

The question that YOU & so many in dire need to answer me & others that forget to answered themselves is :

DO YOU RELATE THE LOSSES DIRECTLY BECAUSE OF THE CBA ?

The answer if you ask me is NO ! NHL teams lose money because the people the owners hired like the GM's & the accountants are MAKING BAD DECISIONS.

If the OWNERS, OH BY THE WAY ARE SO SUCCESFULL IN THEIR REAL BUSINESS managed their franchise like they manage their companies, WE wouldn't be here talking about the CBA or $$$$, we would be talking about training CAMPS !!

Quote:
Let me ask you this - why do the other 3 major sports either have a salary cap or luxury tax? Their leagues aren't losing money (regardless of what multi-billionaire owns them) and they are far more successfull and generating far more revenue than the NHL. Yet even though the NHL brings in significantly less revenue than the big 3 and the players make the same salaries (even more than NFL players) the player's feel the NHL doesn't deserve to have any cost certainty?? Honestly, if you were an owner looking at the other sports, I think its pretty obvious which direction you would want to head.
Well there's some MLB teams that are losing money due to bad decisions & some players are making 13-14-15M$ per season. Some teams can't afford a player & they rebuild, they try to make decisions that would help their teams.

I just don't know why you are pointing me about luxury tax when NHLPA offers that to the owners.

Quote:
Here is some breaking news for you - the salary cap is as much about controlling the owners as it is player's salaries. You don't think certain NFL owners would spend more if they could? The players will still be fairly compensated and the deserving star players will still make a signficant amount.
Seriously, you want the players to say yes to a cap because OWNERS/GM can't control themselves. If your boss is telling you to do more work because he can't control himself to go playing tennis in the afternoon, would you say YES NO PROBLEM ?

I'm very ironic of course but that's what you just said.

Quote:
I want hockey as much as the next guy, but I can't blame the owners for recognizing the game needs some serious changes and looking at the other, more successfull leagues for a business model.
Seriously are you that NAIVE to think the OWNERS want a CAP for the love of the GAME ?