Old
09-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
If the drivers want so much money that it will destroy the whole system, then yeah, it's the drivers' fault.

Why are the Oilers losing money? It's not because they're badly run, of course, so what is it? I'd like to find that out.

It doesn't matter whether it's a strike or a lockout. I'm not sure why you're so concerned about that, because it's not an issue. It doesn't matter if the way things are now is the fault of the players, the owners, the fans, or the CBA.

What matters is that there's a huge problem (although people like you seem to refuse to acknowledge that, even though it's hit us all upside the head with both barrels), and it has to be fixed. The owners are the only ones trying to correct this problem. The players and their joke proposals don't help.
I think taking in the Canadian dollar while spending the American dollar goes a long ways towards why Edmonton has a hard time on the financial front. But, to be fair, that's a factor neither the players nor the owners have much control over.

As for the league's financial troubles, I disagree that the players aren't attempting to help matters. The owners want a form of cost control. While the players have held strong against a cap, they are clearly willing to implement a luxury tax of some form. IMO, a properly created luxury tax could end up with the same basic goal of pulling in the salaries, and could actually be more helpful as money from teams willing to spend stupidly is re-distributed to teams willing to spend more thoughtfully.

This is a problem ten years in the making, and the hope to fix it all at once is unrealistic. The owners should take what concessions they can to begin to meet their objectives (a decent luxury tax, re-doing the arbitration process, cap on rookie bonuses, etc.) and set themselves up for the next CBA and a chance to win a few more concessions. Between now and then, they should continue what they've been doing the past couple of summers: pulling in their own salaries and simply spending less.