View Single Post
Old
04-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post

I can't speak for other draft previews, but you can say the same thing about ISS. The ISS report is all text and the focus is on content, not appearance.

Also, despite Woodlief's innaccurate remark in his USA Today draft chat last June (http://transcripts.usatoday.com/Chat...pt.aspx?c=1855), ISS has scouts in rinks in NA and Europe and base their reports on live viewings filed by RinkNet. I've been getting the ISS reports since this scouting service started in 2002 and have spoken to many of their scouts. I can understand why Woodlief would not appreciate the competition ISS has provided, but I can't sit idly by and watch someone perpetuate the myth he started.

ISS does solid work by experienced hockey people and formulate their opinions on sound scouting principles. As with any organization, there are people who have worked for ISS that haven't done good work and they've been let go. (I've learned this from conversations that I've had with ISS people.)

Perhaps the most famous example of this was the female WHL scout who was mentioned in Gare Joyce's book, Future Greats and Heartbreaks.
I didn't mention ISS in my post, and I don't think this needs to devolve into a RLR vs. ISS debate. People should be able to make up their own minds without calling one or another publication out, regardless of whether you feel Woodlief is right or not. I know he goes to those tourneys (as does his staff to the big tournaments and smaller ones), so that's what matters to me.

I know both scouting services very well...and I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 04-08-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote