Thread: Proposal: Washington - Toronto
View Single Post
Old
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
sda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I've been sort of kicking this over in my head for a while.

To Toronto:

Tomas Fleischmann, Rights to Shaone Morrisonn

To Washington:

Pavel Kubina

Fleischmann's a guy whose shown some talent this year, but has had some trouble with consistency. I don't know what role McPhee sees for him in Washington, but there's no doubt that he's getting pushed by players like Fehr for ice time. Morrisonn is in a similar position, in that he'll probably be looking for a raise as an RFA, but is at risk of being the victim of a numbers game in Washington, with Alzner needing room on the blueline next year.

For Toronto, Kubina has taken a central role on our blueline this year, and his loss would no doubt hurt. Still, Fleischmann adds some scoring talent onto our wings in the top six, and he has the potential to really take advantage of the increased opportunity he'd get in Toronto. Morrisonn is still young, and would provide some gritty play on the back end to make up for Kubina's absence.

Washington gets a top flight defenceman to help anchor their D next year. Kubina doesn't get hyped as much as Tomas Kaberle, but he has a serious impact on the game, and has put up career years the past two seasons. He plays a fairly physical game, and has a bomb from the point (not that the Caps need more help on the PP). Their cap situation would likely be fine, as the difference between Morrisonn's likely 2.5-3 mil contract and Kubina's 5 mil deal would be made up by Fedorov or Kozlov likely taking smaller contracts next year, and Alzner slotting in on an entry level deal.
I don't see the logic of trading for two players who you say seem to be squeezed for icetime. If we are going to improve you need top end players not average guys fighting to hold onto their jobs. Morrisonn and Fleischmann aren't upgrades on players the Leafs already have

sda is offline   Reply With Quote