View Single Post
Old
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Cosmic Shame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Kaberle's value at the draft will be lower than his value at the deadline... teams still have the UFA option (JBo) where they don't have to give up anything... and most teams drafting high will be rebuild modes anyways, where a high 1st rounder will be given more value than a veteran defender.

if Toronto moves him at the draft, they will get a lot less for him than waiting till the deadline.
I'm not sure if his value will necessarily be lower, but you are right that there will be alot of teams that will be looking at the UFA options before deciding on the trade route.

If nobody bites on draft day, I could see a trade happening in the offseason once the big UFA's are gone... And the bargaining chip will be the 2010 first round pick. Sure, teams like Ottawa and Dallas might not be interested in trading their 2009 top 10 draft pick. But, there are a few teams like this that underperformed this year. And will be expecting to do MUCH better next year. They might be willing to play the odds and trade their 2010 1st rounder, hoping that their team, with the addition of Kaberle, could put them, at least, into the playoffs and a worse drafting position for next year. And Burke might be willing to take that risk too, depending on the team...

So, I could definitely see, after the UFAs are gone, a team like Buffalo, Ottawa, Florida, Dallas (and probably a few others) looking at their D, and thinking they are a good puck moving Dman away from moving up the standings into a playoff spot. So, in my opinion, they'll be willing to trade 2010 first round pick + good prospect (+ maybe a redundant younger roster player for Kaberle).

Cosmic Shame is offline   Reply With Quote