View Single Post
Old
04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
VanIslander and I will pick within the next twenty minutes or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Hooley Smith is a guy who can just plain do it all. He's big, physical, fast, and great defensively. Offensively, he's good enough to hang with anyone, placing in the top-10 in league scoring 6 times, and with 3 top-3 assist placings. He'll look great across from Joe Malone on my top line, both as an offensive counterpart, and as a guy charged with mucking it up and generally making life difficult for the opposition.
While I don't like promoting other teams' players (too much), I do like promoting my own research. Based on my research about all-star voting in the 1930s, here's how Smith ranked:

1932: 2nd team all-star (behind Morenz)
1933: 3rd team all-star (behind Boucher and Morenz)
1934: 3rd team all-star (behind Boucher and ******)
1935: incomplete data
1936: 1st team all-star

A pretty good five-year stretch which excludes two elite seasons (1926 and 1929 were before all-star teams were voted upon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Ovechkin's arguably been the best player in the world over the last 4 seasons. Only Lidstrom and maybe some goalies are more valuable. I don't think you can find a 4-year stretch where you can say that about Vaclav Nedomansky, Cy Denneny or Hooley Smith. Ovechkin's quickly becoming a nearly-singular offensive talent. I know it doesn't count in this format, but 5 more years like the last 4 and he's better than Mike Bossy.
I might get flamed for saying this but if Ovechkin's next year is anything like his past four, he'll be on par with Charlie Conacher. (In the regular season, at least).