View Single Post
Old
04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
grabo84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
I do not really understand the "it will take a 1st, top prospect and good youngster to get Kaberle" train of thought anymore.

Two trade deadlines ago, Toronto apparently had a deal in place of Kaberle for Carter and a 1st. So basically they were trading Kaberle for a later 1st and a good youngster (Carter was still all potential at that point).

Now, if he is dealt in the offseason, he will be around for 2 seasons and playoffs. At the time of the Carter trade, he would have been around for 3 seasons and 4 playoffs.

However now he is worth more then he was two trade deadlines ago?

I would say the best deal Toronto would get for Kaberle would be a 1st and a good (but not top) prospect, or a 1st and a good youngster (2nd liner). If the 1st is in the 12-18 or so range, then the quality of the player/prospect will be lessened (and the flipside, if it is one of the last picks of the round then the player/prospect would be a 1st line potential type player)
I think you're misunderstanding what people mean when they say 1st, prospect, roster player. The Carter package is worth much, much more than any package involving a 1st, roster player, and prospect. The prospect shouldn't be their best prospect, and the roster player shouldn't be an elite young talent. Kaberle is clearly not worth what he was two years ago, but he's still worth a lot more than many people give him credit for.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote