View Single Post
Old
09-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
I imagine the debate now is the same as the debate was then. Jagr is still a great player, and if the Caps were picking up a good part of his salary, he'd definitely look interesting at $5-6M. But with Jagr these days, it's more about how he fits in off the ice, whether he's willing to be a team player, whether he can submit to the coach, etc. He's a great player, but not quite great enough anymore to put up with his sometime-attitude. It's hard to make a long-term commitment to a player when you don't really know what his commitment is going to be in return.

I dunno, I'd probably take a chance on probably-lesser guys at a lesser price, like Kariya or Selanne, who at least have good character.

P.S. As for Gainey "missing the chance"... he probably didn't even look at it as a chance. With the CBA uncertainty, probably an impending UFA like Kovalev looked a lot better than guaranteed contracts for guys like Lang and Jagr when there was no idea what the future financial landscape of the NHL would look like.