View Single Post
Old
04-09-2009, 01:52 PM
XS Chop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lehtonen is a very, very good keeper. The problem is he's playing in a shocking atlanta team, and is consistantly injured. If he had a little protection from his defense he would look a hec of allot better. Facing 40 shots a night in the wach isn't going to do him any favours though so he wouldn't be a good choice for us.

Also giving up on JVR this early is a bit strong.
Thats the same argument I heard against Backstrom and others. Bottom line is who exactly can be counted on to stop 38 of 40 shots night after night. If we're going to play this freewheeling style we really need the best goalie we can get our hands on. I think personnel wise our D is capable of limiting the shot total much more then we do now. Seems to me the critism of Jones, Carle, Coburn etc... has more to do with the style of play as a team more than their abilities. They could certainly deal with some situations better than they do but the systen is pretty much set up to allow that many shots. Think we have two options. Either change the scheme our D uses with limited or no need for personnel changes or find a super stud goalie that excels under the pressure of all of those chances, who that may be I don't know. Option one seems more rational to me. I know these aren't ground breaking idea's but I think it needs to be mentioned in any conversation involving goalies or defensemen. Really, playing the way we do demands somehow having two Timonens on the ice at all times, it's setting any "average" type Dman up to fail.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote