View Single Post
Old
04-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Antidote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL009 View Post
I think people are upset with him for two reasons:

(1) The whole season has been a dissappointment and this just added to the crap we've seen this year and frustration has mounted.

(2)More importantly, I'm pretty sure he stated that the NHL was his goal. He then signs his current deal, which I don't blame him for, and pretty much acknowledges he ran after the money. He is well within his right to do so. I'd find that hard to turn down.

The real issue is his drive and passion IMO. If he really wanted to play in the NHL, he could have came over and worked his way into it if he was confident in his abilities.
Agree with 1 and 2 but not the last point. There's an overemphasis in hockey circles - to me, at least - on old-fashioned values that are more reflective of the traditionalist post-war generation than even the boomers. Another way, even though most of the senior NHL managers are boomers, their views are closer to their parents' views than those of the rest of the generation - you earn your way through hard work, you always respect authority etc. It's a bit of a time warp.

I spent years preparing boomer managers to deal with an incoming Gen-Y workforce and they're still struggling to adapt to a generation that is confident, ambitious, looks for challenges, questions authority etc. Because of these characteristics, Gen-Y people are thought of by boomers as narcissistic, lacking commitment, discipline and drive (cribbing these sweeping generalizations from any of a thousand articles on this subject).

So then we come to hockey, where - again to me - the value system of the senior managers predates the boomers but the kids that come along have all the characteristics of Gen-Y. The traditionalists aren't really not sure how to deal with kids who want to finish college rather than play in the AHL or, in Omark's case, take a completely different route to get what they want. Again, confident, ambitious, questions authority, looks for challenges.

I ramble on knowing all the pitfalls of behavioural pigeon-holing of generational characteristics, but there is a lot of generational conflict in workplaces, especially professional ones, as the value systems and worldviews collide. Why is it any different in NHL offices between senior managers and young players or in dressing rooms with boomers and Gen-Y's.

I don't know Omark from page 2, but believe that confidence, drive and passion aren't problems for him. He's just a young guy who - like most of his peers - wants as much of the world as he can get on his terms. Go for it, Linus! Hope to see you in a year!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote