View Single Post
Old
04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I think the Players Association accepts a salary percentage cut before they accept a lower hard cap. That would RUIN their future earnings via free agency.
The players definitely give back some of their money from the escrow account, because the owners are entitled to their share of the revenue. However, I don't think that helps the team with a player's cap hit in any way.

So, if the cap drops and a team is over they basically have to trade more expensive players away for picks or lower cost players until they are once again under the cap. Once a contract is signed the cap hit, is the cap hit. It can't be changed.

Expect the salary cap to drop before the 2010-2011 season. With that in mind I don't think that there will be much of a market for Briere this off season, unless the Flyers really sweeten the deal. Then you have to get Briere to agree to the trade as well due to his NTC.

Players that most teams would be interested in are Richards, Gagne, and Carter. Lupul may garner some interest, but he is overpaid too.

It's going to be fun watching the big spenders try to get themselves out of cap hell. On the bright side for the Flyers, at least you have some high priced guys that other teams want and would give up some good prospects or high picks for in a trade. You could be the Rangers. Outside of Lundqvist no team wants any of their high priced players.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote