View Single Post
Old
04-11-2009, 12:26 AM
twenty2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Yawn.

No offense, but SanFilippo is just turning on the broken record. Yeah, yeah, cap problems. Yeah, yeah trade bait. Yeah, yeah, players cost too much.

Flyers can clear out $10m on replaceable players: Lupul ($4.25), Carle ($3.44), Jones ($2.7)

Hell just throwing Jones under the bus and waiving him is a viable option honestly. I'd feel safer with Sbisa back there even with the rookie mistakes he'll have once in a while.

Our situation without those 3 along with any players leaving as UFAs:

Gagne (5.25) - Richards (5.75) - ???
Hartnell (4.20) - Carter (5.00) - ???
Asham (0.64) - Giroux (0.82) - Briere (6.50)
Cote (0.55) - Powe (0.52) - (0.89)

Timonen (6.33) - Parent (0.86)
Coburn (1.30) - ???
Sbisa (0.88) - ???

???
???

Total: $39.49
Room to work with if cap plateaus: $17.21

Since we have all that room I really don't mind keeping either Carle OR Lupul. Both is a bit much, but it's doable.

Let's say we keep Lupul. We've spent $43.74. We can move Briere up a line and let Giroux play with 2 of Nodl, Kalinski, and Powe. If it didn't work out we could try something else, but we know Asham - Giroux - Powe works. Promote Kalinski to 4th line center (has he played there this season? I think he has but I'm not 100%). We'd still have about $12m to work with to find 1 starting goalie, a backup goalie, and 2 decent defenseman. That's completely doable.

Hell if we could get rid of Jones, Carle, AND Lupul I'd say we're in the territory of talking to Jay Bouwmeester.

And they may be harder to move, but I'm not buying that nobody wants a 25g-25a forward at $4.25m. I'm also not buying that nobody would want Matt Carle. Not wanting Jones is understandable.

There is always going to be continuous cap problems from now until the end of Richards contract if we're still a competitor. There's always going to be that next year that completely screws us over and we can't do anything but collapse our team.

Frankly I'm not buying it.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote