View Single Post
04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
The guys at BP point out that organizations can also gain efficiencies by doing things other than using stats. For example the Houston Astros are more willing to give short right handed pitchers a shot in the draft than your average MLB team and that has landed them some good MLB guys. The Atlanta Braves heavily focus just on players from the south--they get focus on one area and see those players more often (i.e. larger sample for each player) and they draft pretty well.

In hockey, I'd point out that I think the Buffalo Sabres have an organizational efficiency advantage--they seem more willing to draft smallish forwards--and they Sabres have drafted more NHLers than the average NHL franchise. Now I haven't crunched any numbers on this, but I suspect that Buffalo is exploiting the size fetish most other NHL teams have when it comes to prospects.
no doubt in my mind the Sabres have some form of model that gives them an advantage on smaller forwards. A couple of years ago they said they cut back on scouting and would work more with stats and tapes and since that time they clearly go the small forward route like Ennis that gives them the luxury to let high paid forwards go and keep the low pay guys.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote