View Single Post
Old
04-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
What about Alex Burrows with Vancouver? I know Vancouver is playing well but they aren't Detroit.
Burrows is sort of what we should have managed to have with Streit last year.

A relatively young guy having a breakout season leading into his first UFA, re-signed DURING that season, to a multi year at a price well above the contract he was on, but lower than what he'd get in the offseason.

Much like Streit's desire to re-sign during the season, I think Burrows made a decision based more on his heart than on his head.

He's finally playing at a level he believed he had in him, but since it took a while he's somewhat convinced/doubtful that at least part of his success/confidence has to do with the situation he's in... his comfort level with his teammates, the coach, the city... all of which gives him the gut(heart) feeling that he should get his contract done, so that he can just focus on riding the wave and settle in for the 'long-haul'.

I'm sure Burrows agent at the very least suggested that his client should wait it out, that he would be in line for a bigger payday if he waited till July.

That kind of situation happens when a player is playing above his past level of play...
this year Lapierre might be a good candidate for it, but since he's only an RFA in 2 years, there isn't the same need (from our pov) to sign him long term right now.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote