View Single Post
Old
04-13-2009, 06:23 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 500
Buy equipment.

Depending on your financial situation this might take a little while but that's the first thing you need to do. While your getting your gear together i'd go to some kind of public skate at your nearest arena and get the fundamentals of skating down and that means, skating forwards AND backwards with comfort and learning to stop forwards AND backwards. The biggest issue with new players is they dont take the time to learn to skate, they think they can just join a league and learn as they go..big mistake.

When your playing in a league it actually slows you down because 1) you have to share rink time with other players and 2) your forced to focus on playing hockey rather than just skating. Skating is key, you'll learn stick handling and puck control when you play but taking time to learn to skate before you play is really a big deal. I can tell you i've seen tons of guys in several leagues not knowing how to skate very well and seen those same guys months and even years later with little to no improvement. I cant stress enough how key it is to get the fundamentals of skating down before you play in a league.

Good luck...

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote