View Single Post
Old
04-14-2009, 07:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, first is his age. He's pushing the definition of prospect at 23.

Second is injuries, he's never managed to play anywhere near 80 games in a single pro season.

Third, he has never cracked the AHL full time. Let alone the NHL.

Fourth is his size. Guys of his size don't make it in the NHL unless they can absolutely annihilate the AHL. Locke was a much, much better AHLer than Lats and never got much of a sniff in the NHL.

At 23, he's organizational depth. I don't see him as having any more NHL future with Montreal than Steve Gainey.

I admit, though, that my arguments are more about whether or not he is even a prospect and less about his actual performances.

Desjardins at least played a full season at a high level in the AHL, and while he is a couple months older, I'd sooner relax the definition of prospect age for a goalie. Meyer and Meissien are at least still juniors.

I'd also list a host of other guys (Valentenko perhaps) over any of them.

Yea he's an older prospect, but I didn't follow much of him until the Habs got him, and ever since he came over, I like what I've seen.

Injuries is a concern, I heard that the shoulder was bad but I wonder just how bad it will be for him, I guess we'll see next year.

Well after leading the ECHL in scoring this year, and putting up points on average that was right up there with Trotter and company, there seemed to be little doubt that he was going to stick with Hamilton full time.

As for size, yea Locke put up more points for sure as he had a career year this season, but he is lazy, soft, slow and bad in his own end, Lats is none of those things. I would take Lats over Locke any day of the week, there's a reason why Locke was often in Coach Lever's doghouse.

The reason why I think he brings more to the Habs then say Steve Gainey, is his offensive skills, very impressive vision and passing imo, granted he's small but he's quick and works hard.

Valentenko took some big steps backwards and his future in the organization is in question, so until I hear otherwise, I'm not ranking him anymore.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote