View Single Post
Old
04-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post
I'm willing to bet that Kane/Schenn/MPS/Cowen and whoever is in the top 5-7 next year is better than Tavares alone.

But then again, I'm biased. Tavares just doesn't impress me. I'd love to get my hands on him as a Leafs fan but not at the price it will take.
Tavares impresses me, and I think he should be the #1 pick. That said, those other guys like Kane, Schenn, MPS are impressive too. And one of them could indeed end up being a player as good as (or even better than) Tavares.

I have no idea what the Isles' intentions or philosophy are, but again, I think the #7 pick should carry _serious_ value in such a trade. If you then add another potential top-10 pick next year, and then add some of the other elements already discussed such as a top-pairing NHL defenseman in Kaberle, then hockey-wise, you are almost certain to get better value than Tavares. To me, it's not even debateable that the Leafs could give the Isles a package that provides better _hockey_ value than Tavares. They could. Easily.

But it's not all about "hockey value". The Isles have some other things to worry about too, and a marquee/franchise player often carries value that transcends his hockey value. So it's entirely plausible that the Isles would just scoff at Burke's PR stunt and no real discussions would ever even take place.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote