View Single Post
Old
04-16-2009, 02:10 PM
The Feckless Puck
AKA "Freckles"

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't know if there is a goalie in the league more comfortable with the fact that he'll always be a back-up.
...and that's why I don't want him back.

There are goalies who only perform if they are secure in the fact that they are the #1. I would say Kipper and Luongo are guys like that. Maybe Brodeur. Telly would fit in great in those organizations.

He is the wrong guy for Phoenix, though. Bryz needs a threat, not a pal. And more than that, we need a guy who is reliable for stretches, not spot starts, when Bryz hits his inevitable skid.

I like Telly a lot as a person, don't get me wrong. He's the perfect team player. But a comfy room is not always a successful room, and if everyone's happy and buddy-buddy then where do the competitive juices go? Gretzky talked about keeping everyone happy... well, screw that. Keep people working to keep from losing their spot. This isn't a damn country club, it's a professional sports team where the players get paid huge amounts of money. I'm not saying to cultivate an actively hostile work environment (which Carcillo and Jokinen were fostering), but while guys should get along with each other they should NOT get complacent - either with the security of their positions or with losing.

/rant

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote