View Single Post
Old
09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
gretzky1545

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H/H
The thing is, give the owners too much leeway and we'll be back to having players earning less than a McDonalds clerk.

Regardless of what they say, I still think the owners are netting the most money in the NHL. And this extreme inflation is not the players fault, it's because a few owners (no names mentioned, but you all know who I mean) can seemingly throw infinite money at average players (*cough*Holik(*cough*)

And how come the Penguins, one of the supposedly most financially dire teams in the league can go spending crazy with an impending lockout?
everyone wants to win, the balance between winning(now and in the future) and money is where the owners get screwed either way. If they go with money, they get viewed as despicable businessmen, such as the clippers owner. If you go after winning, and you lose money, you can't blame anyone else because you chose something concrete for something a little more intangible, which makes people less likely to sympathize with your plight.

The balance between the two seems to be incredibly hard just looking around sports teams. Not to mention the fact that hockey isn't pulling in the money that the other sports are.

I'm not a big fan of most owners, but some of the accusations against them seem unfair to me.