View Single Post
Old
04-19-2009, 02:44 PM
timbitca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
If the habs did a stupid mistake it is not chelios problem and it should not diminish his value for being a sure fire HHOF and a top dman in an era where coffey, bourque, mciniss, murphy, stevens played.

As I said chelios is a true #1 dman. He can pass, shoot, hit, play against top opposite forwards, leadership. Markov is not and will not be in that category.

Let markov win 1 norris and then come and then we will speak.
Contrary to you, I do believe Markov is a #1 defenceman. If he wasn't, we probably could have managed to win one of the last 6 games he hasn't played.

However, you seem to make this thread to be more about Chelios' career stats vs Markov's career stats even though the thread is titled 'Best HABS defenceman since Robinson' and not best defenceman all around...

Chris Chelios (7 seasons with Habs)

402 GP - 72 G - 237 A - 309 PTS - 0.768 PTS/G

Andrei Markov (8 seasons with Habs)

571 GP - 74 G - 255 A - 329 PTS - 0.58 PTS/G

So it would appear Chelios' offensive numbers are more impressive when compared to Markov's on a per game basis, and definetely more when comparing his career numbers, but that's to be expected given how long he's played.

In his 8 years with the Habs thus far, Markov has finished on average 6th in scoring on the team, never once dipping below 10th on the team. No worse than 5th in the last 4 seasons. Chelios on the other hand comes in at an average of 7th if you count his 6 full seasons (to be fair I didn't count his first season in '83-'84 where he only had 12 GP)

However, I think someone could make a case as to the fact that Andrei Markov has been more important to the Habs than Chelios especially since he played all of his career thus far on much worse teams than Chelios did with Montreal. I don't dispute the fact that Chelios is a great defenceman and was great for the Habs. I just believe that Markov may be more indispensable to the Habs than Chelios was in the late 80's. And I do believe that Markov is underrated a lot by the rest of the league.

timbitca is online now   Reply With Quote