View Single Post
Old
04-19-2009, 11:49 PM
MoonlightGraham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
The Yankees pay for these three about 65 millions per year. There are four teams in the MLB that have lower total payrolls. Of course they are going to sing them.

Imagine now that there would be a cap like in hockey - do you think they would still manage to sign all those stars ?

Sure - the media is not the main reason UFAs do not want to sign. But it is one reason. And there are at least other three well known:winter, taxes and kids schools.

On the other side I dare you people to give me one single realistic good reason for a major UFA to want to sign with Montreal instead of another similar team. One.

And don't go "great place to be when you are winning" - cause it's not.
I'm very much aware of the Yankees' financial situation. But a superstar like Sabathia could have gotten a lot of money elsewhere too. Players sign for the Yankees for the money, but also for the fact that they know they're going probably going to play for a contender year after year. That in my mind makes the athletes accept dealing with the huge media pressure that comes with playing for the Yankees. The Canadiens haven't been to the Conference finals since 1993. If we were winning like Detroit, everyone would want to sign here.

Anyways, the media pressure is there. It's not going away. Instead of whining about it on HFBoards like a lot of people seem to do, they should start actually writing to media outlets that have angered them if they really want things to change. At least, just don't watch what you don't like. I personnaly do not like Jean-Charles Lajoie, and when he's on I change the channel. It's easy really. I don't feel the urge to complain about him.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote