View Single Post
Old
09-17-2004, 03:00 PM
HF2002

vCash: 500
I recently spoke to a woman (I'd never met her before nor have I seen her since) and she said her nephew plays for the Panthers. I don't know if she was being honest or not, but given the nature of the conversation I thought she was telling the truth as she knew it.

Anyway, she said that her nephew told his mom(this woman's sister) that the Union has told the players to expect a deal to be signed so that players can return around the first week of January, 2005. She said the reason the players are going to wait for this date is so that many of the older, more established players can have a longer break than normal. It might mean that the older guys could get an extra season after having had this extended break. 8-9 months off for world class athletes is much better than 5 months (or less off).

The only reason I can think that this reasoning may be somewhat legitimate is that nearly every player who's going to play in Europe is reportedly to have arranged a Jan 1st escape clause on their contracts (as per a sports radio station in Ottawa).

Also, the players will look as though they made major concessions when in reality they were going to accept them anway. At the same time, they'll probably get the owners to make a concession that they aren't necessarily willling to give at this point. And we are hearing players speak out more against the union this time around than in '94, at least as far as I can recall.

Does anyone else have any ideas to support this argument, even if you don't believe it to be true?