Thread: News Article: Lucic Suspended 1 Game
View Single Post
Old
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton View Post
There's a significant number of Bruins fans who aren't at odds with the one game suspension. There's more animosity over how Colin Campbell justified the suspension. His interview with Ron MacLean was nothing short of embarassing. He contradicted himself on several occassions and came out looking like a moron.
Yup. Fair enough. And I think "moron" is a bit strong. It's not like he doesn't know what he's talking about. But it's obvious that he (and the league) are struggling to justify their current methods and criteria for handling discipline "issues." The current case by case and player by player considerations are leading to a smegload of questions concerning consistency.

However, I don't think they are going for consistency as much as they are trying some sort of system that seems to mimic public society too closely. You know, where wealthy people are caught with an oz of coke, but get probation because they aren't deemed dangers to society or would suffer unduly from a record for such an offense, while poor folk on corners in slums get jailed for a few grams of weed because they are deemed bigger threats, or less beneficial, to society in the long run.

Seriously, they seem to be trying to determine who gets a second chance and who gets to avoid a black mark on their "record." Mind you, our overly litigious society has been pressuring to exert more influence inside the rink in recent years, so I can understand the difficulty of the tight-rope act they are trying to pull off without casually taking the easier "they must be morons" standpoint. It certainly didn't make him (and his group) seem like they firmly have a grasp on how they are supposed to take care of these situations though, and in that we can agree.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote