View Single Post
Old
09-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Chief

vCash: 500
This whole Lundmark situation is much ado about nothing for a whole host of reasons:

1) Lundmark doesn't owe anything to anybody. This kid has played wherever the Rangers have asked him to play and he's done everything asked of him over each summer to advance his career. He turned himself into one of the few defensively solid players on the Rangers even though he was drafted as an offensive player. He is one of the few players who actually got with Renney's program and played unselfish hockey. He also got hit with a cheap shot by Peca and missed a good chunk of last season. People seem to forget that knee injuries often take awhile to come back from.

2) The Rangers are just as much to blame for Lundmark's decision to not play in Hartford. They stuck him with a $37,000 minor league salary because they had the chance to do it. They did what was best in dollars and cents and not what was best for Lundmark and the Rangers. If people are going to get pissed at Lundmark for making a money decision then they should be just as pissed at the Rangers for making a money decision. If the Rangers had given him a $50,000 minor league contract then he would in all likelihood be in Hartford for training camp. You reap what you sow.

3) I'm sure Lundmark would love to play in a better league for the same money but it probably wasn't a choice he had to make. No top echelon team in Sweden or the Czech Republic is going to offer an unproven player a susbstantial salary - heck, they probably wouldn't offer such a player any salary. These teams don't want to be caught shorthanded if the NHL's lockout actually ends before this season is up and they certainly won't waste a roster spot on some unproven kid. Now, it might have been possible for Lundmark to latch on with some crap team in Sweden but I don't really think Lundmark's career was going to be furthered by getting his butt handed to him every night by playing with a bunch of scrubs on the Swedish equivalent of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

4) And lastly, with all the NHL'rs going to Europe to play, I think there will be stronger teams throughout the different hockey leagues. Now, I'm not about to say that the Italian team Lundmark will be joining will be a powerhouse or that it will play great competition but there are NHL'rs signing in all different leagues and there are quite a few who are also signing on to play in the Italian league. What it all comes down to, I think, is Lundmark had the opportunity to go somewhere where he will make some relatively good cash, while staying in game shape and working on his game a bit. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Last edited by Chief: 09-18-2004 at 12:11 AM.