View Single Post
Old
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Capitano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
He was on AM640 Toronto with Bill Watters and Dreger. I heard the interview because I happened to be going to a lunch meeting.

Demers didn't say it outright, but just mentioning the two names, the injuries, and 'maybe not wanting to play to make it worse with free agency looming' can only lead to what is now coming out.

And now Demers is backtracking. Whether he meant it or not, he shouldn't have said what he said.
Not that I'm defending Demers here, but did he really say anything that wrong?

I'm glad you heard the same interview so we know we're talking about the right quotes. For the most part I got what you did out of the interview. He mentioned 'maybe not wanting to play to make it worse with free agency looming'. Is that really wrong? These guys are hurt. The organization hasn't stepped up and offered a contract to these guys, and certainly wouldn't offer it to them if they hurt themselves long-term.

If this was game 7 of the Stanley Cup, I'm betting they would be playing. With this series being the way it is, and our team being the way it is, I don't have a problem with these guys looking after themselves at this point in time.

Our GM made the decision to go into this year with all of these contract uncertainties surrounding the team. Some media guys spoke out against it saying it wasn't the right thing to do. At first I didn't second guess Gainey's decision to do it, but I certainly am now.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote